Friday, February 18, 2011
Meatball Cassoulet and Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
This was our second go-around with this recipe, and we all enjoyed it as much as the first time. Sadly, our soup days are waning and I will be saying good-by to my foul-weather friend (aka my crockpot) for a season; I probably won't make a hearty pot of stew like this again until next fall. We had it with some southwest-style cornbread and a yummy, easy strawberry rhubarb crisp, so I'm including both recipes. Is that allowed?
Meatball Cassoulet
2 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups tomato juice
1 12-ounce package frozen cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
8 ounces cooked smoked turkey sausage or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 cup finely choped carrots
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
white pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a 3-1/2 or 4 quart crock pot. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8-9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
From the Better Than Mom's Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook by Better Homes & Gardens. I guess that means that when you make it, it will be better than when I make it!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
1-1/2 pounds rhubarb, stalks only, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
1 pint fresh strawberries (I cheated and used thawed berries - they were just fine)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
Combine all ingredients and pour into a buttered 8-inch baking dish.
Cover with topping:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch of salt
2/3 cup chopped pecans (the recipe said to use walnuts, but we don't do that in Texas!)
Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and walnuts; pour melted butter on top and toss to combine. Tumble over fruit mixture. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned, about 30 minutes, at 350.
Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla cream anglaise.
From Sweet Melissa Patisserie, Inc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment