I looooove sweet breads. I have always loved the zucchini bread recipe that I've used, but was astonished at the amount of sugar and oil it used for 2 loaves! So with newly grated zucchini, I was on the lookout for some good recipes with less sugar, no oil, and still easy to make. I tried this one today and am hooked. It's a bit more crumbly, but just as moist and it bakes nicer, I think.
Even Jill was BEGGING for more!
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. grated zucchini
2/3 c. melted unsalted butter (I'd rather use butter than oil any day!)
2 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (not optional in our family, nor is 1 c. enough)
1 c. dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 and grease two 5x9 loaf pans. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the zucchini and then the melted butter.
Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture and stir it in. Add the flour, a third at a time, stirring after each incorporation. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg over the batter and mix. Fold in the nuts and dried fruit if using.
Divide the batter equally and bake for 55 minutes (mine only took 45, so watch it!). Cool in pans for 10 minutes. (I cooled mine a little longer and they popped right out).
And now, I am going to go grab the last piece, because if I'm not quick enough, one of the other kids will get it in the morning!



No comments:
Post a Comment